May 2013

May 2013
in Ulricehamn

Monday, August 4, 2008

I am having an affair with the gardener

I am having an affair with the gardener and the handyman. How did this happen and what changed after almost ten years of marriage? Well, Jochem has proven me and mostly himself wrong. I married a guy who always stated that he had two left hands (a Dutch expression for someone who cant do anything practical). He never cooks. He has never ironed a shirt and he is terrified of anything revolving around a hammer. At least, this is how it used to be. Since summer arrived in Sweden I have gotten a new husband who has taken on the role as gardener and handyman. I run around the house calling his name only to find him out in the garden cutting the grass or working on the boat. The office chair stands empty and Jochem has a suntan worthy a professional tanner (on the back that is as he is always standing with his back towards the sun!). This new interest in practical work will be seriously put to the test as we bought a new summerhouse this summer. It is a charming house with a wonderful lake view where the word “renovation” gets a totally new meaning. I will let you know further on how we are getting on with this second round of renovations this year.

Last week we had 29 visitors and it was really nice that so many decided to spend some of their vacation with us in Ulricehamn. I actually got the question if I get paid extra if I mention this towns name in my blog but unfortunately this is not the case (should definitely talk to my boss about it :)). The beautiful weather, swimming at our summerhouse in Vegby, spending long evenings on the porch in great company makes living in Ulricehamn a real pleasure and I think that all of our guests (who had never been here before) felt the same. Thank you all for a wonderful visit! Please come back soon!!! Jochems holiday is over but I still have one more week and tomorrow Jenny and little Ebba are coming for a visit. 20 years of friendship and lots of ups and downs comes down to one thing – we will have a great week this week.
Enjoy the summer! Ulrika

No comments: